Affogato: Ice cream drowned in espresso
Affogato: Ice cream drowned in espresso?
Dessert or beverage?
An Affogato is a coffee-based dessert / beverage. It usually takes the form of a scoop of vanilla gelato or ice cream topped or "drowned" with a shot of hot espresso.
Here’s our preferred recipe for this delicious taste of summer.
- 1 pint chocolate ice cream (We used Ben & Jerry's Fairtrade Vanilla Ice Cream).
- 8 tablespoons finely chopped bittersweet (not unsweetened) or semisweet chocolate.
- 8 tablespoons of our freshly brewed Cliff Hanger Espresso.
- 8 tablespoons dark rum (Optional, but why not?).
- Divide ice cream among 4 dessert bowls or coffee cups.
- Spoon 2 tablespoons each of chocolate, espresso, and rum over ice cream and serve immediately.
Makes 4 servings.